Have you ever considered what ingredients are in your pet’s food? What is the importance of having healthy protein and fat percentages in your pet food? Is your pet eating a healthy diet? The pet food industry has been filled with commercial products which every now and then claims to have this and that ingredient and will make your pet healthier. However, to understand the truth behind this ingredient game you need to dig deeper and unearth the proper understanding of pet food quality and feeding practices.
You will find this article useful if you are a pet owner and contemplating about the health of your pet. This article is tailored to help pet owners in understanding the Pet Food Ingredient Game philosophy and how they can keep their pet healthy.
Importance of Natural diet
Before going into the details of how much ingredients do a processed food contains or what percentages you should watch out for, I will like to share one honest advice – There is no substitute for natural foods. You will have a fair idea that eating natural foods is far more salubrious for you as compared to processed food. The same is true for pet foods. So, instead of choosing processed pet foods or any brand claiming to offer natural food (which is of course processed food), you should prefer giving natural food to your pets.
What complications can Processed food lead to?
Although the much-expensive pet food that you just bought from a supermarket may seem like a five-star restaurant treat for your pet, this is not the reality. Regular feeding of such food for a time may result in health problems like susceptibility to infections and diseases. You will, of course, contact the veterinary care center and they will temporarily cure your pet but it will not end its suffering as the cure is not the medicine but the ingredients in the food.
So, what is the solution to this dilemma? How should you keep your pet healthy? The answer is easy.
What is a Natural diet?
The next question that would have popped up in your mind would be what is Natural diet for your pet? Well, the answer to this question is simple and straightforward. Your pet would stay healthy if you feed him the diet he is biologically adapted to. An herbivore requires plants, a carnivore can eat meat, and so on. No science can prove that processed food can compensate for this natural diet.
For a healthy life, your pet needs daily interesting activity, clean water, fresh air, and food as close to the natural diet as they would find in the wild. Fresh natural foods are a perfect fit for your pet. Anything less than that is a compromise, which you should never adapt to. If natural foods are not available, then you must choose those which are as close to natural as possible.
How to Select Pet Food?
Following are some tips on how to feed a healthy diet to your pet:
- You should make a habit of feeding fresh food to your pet. To add a variety in this, use honest processed foods. As humans need variety in their food, so do the pets. So, rotate the meals and don’t keep feeding the same again and again. Do not feed any product exclusively.
- If you want to feed organic foods for your pet, buy the meat from the nearest grocery and prepare it yourself. This will ensure the authenticity of an organic diet. There are many brands in the market nowadays which are claiming to provide organic pet foods but aren’t in reality.
- Learn to use suitable dietary supplements to balance raw meals.
- Before selecting a pet food brand, it is imperative to check the credentials of the manufacturer and the expertise it has in veterinary food science.
- To identify the correct packaged food brand, you should look for those features that bring the product close to the natural standard described above i.e. it has active enzymes, natural preservation and protection against food-borne pathogens, properly packed, balanced nutrients formulation, the density of micronutrients, freshly produced and contains fresh ingredients.